I’ve been rather busy moving (and sick) the past month or so, so I didn’t get as much work done as I’d like. I’m just about finished moving though, and I’ve started putting more time into BMesh again.
BMesh is very close to being testable; I’m currently merging recent changes from 2.5 into the BMesh branch before tying up some loose ends and putting out a call for testing.
I did manage to find time to rewrite the vkey split tool; it now behaves much the same as the edge split modifier, making it a lot more useful. The old tool was very hackish, and getting the new one to work well turned out to be quite a bit of effort, but it’s almost working now (it still has a few cases that need attention). The new tool is much more usable then the old one; it can handle many more situations.
Once I’ve gotten the merge done and vkey finished up, I’ll post a call for testing on the blog. I’ll also provide links to a special BMesh bug tracker, which will be hosted on Nathan Letwory’s new redmine installation.
I’m hoping to get BMesh into the main development trunk sometime early next year; when this happens will depend a lot on future sculpt/multires developments (and how difficult it’ll be to port them to BMesh). One of the purposes of Durian is to develop a fast sculpting/multires system, so BMesh cannot be merged into trunk until that gets going (and is ported over to BMesh).
Thanks to everyone who have donated; it’s very, very helpful. It allows me to spend considerably more time on BMesh then I’d be able to otherwise, and is responsible for the success of this project.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.